This post is the entry point to clean code and programming principles. It lists the most important articles, on this website, about these topics.
The posts are:
- Clean code and programming principles – The ultimate beginner’s guide. A very thorough introduction to programming principles for beginners. We examine the qualities of good code and the most important programming principles, one-by-one.
- How to write clean code units (functions and methods). Learn how to create small, specific code units (functions and methods) that are easy to work with.
- Naming – The ultimate guide. The complete guide for naming in code. We examine the motivation for good names, general naming principles and established naming conventions for a lot of things.
- Error handling. The entrypoint article for error handling. We cover everything from how to respond to errors, to error catching best practices, and much more.
- Nulls and null checks – How to work safely with nulls in any codebase. Nulls are tricky. They can be very difficult to work with and track. In this article, we examine some solutions for working with them.
- Control flow for invalid actions. An important part of clean code is handling control flow. In this article, we’ll examine actions that may fail and need a check first.
- Look before you leap vs easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission. Examining the long-standing debate between conditionals and try/catch.
Featured image – Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash